Tuesday, September 20, 2011

pictorial webster's

My sister, Melissa, shared this video with me, and I can't stop thinking about all of the work that went into creating this beautiful pictorial dictionary - it's incredible! Johnny Carrera, a printer, bookbinder, and artist from Waltham, MA, spent ten years cleaning, restoring, and cataloging over 1,500 engravings that originally appeared in the pages of Webster's dictionaries in the 1800's. He compiled the engravings into "an alluring and unusual visual reference guide for the modern day" (description from Chronicle Books), and the result is a beautiful work of art. I can imagine spending hours poring over the delightful pages of this book.

There is no way I could ever afford one of the $3500 full leather binding Pictorial Webster's (numbered and signed by Carrera), but I will certainly be picking up one of the trade editions, which Chronicle Books sells for $35.

Trade Edition of the Pictorial Webster's 



What takes my breath away about this beautiful book, is that it required such dedication, patience, and commitment to an old-fashioned art that is becoming less relevant and less appreciated in today's iPad-obsessed, internet-instead-of-books, culture. There is something beautiful and moving about one person knowing a craft so well, and about that person patiently creating this work of art that is going to be around well beyond their own lifetime. I have an iPhone, and I love it, but I can't ever connect to it the way I can connect to carefully hand-crafted works - works that contain the essence of the person who created them. It's that essence that explains the difference between a sweater I love that I purchased at J.Crew, and the hand-made sweater I bought in a small shop - there is the energy of working and knowledgable hands infused in the latter. 


Full Leather edition of the Pictorial Webster's by Johnny Carrera

I am fascinated by arts such as bookbinding, printing, and letterpress. I have wanted to take one of the Minnesota Center for Book Arts' workshops for some time now. It would be amazing to become a part of the long line of people who have learned the craft of creating my favorite things - books. Hmm, wouldn't one of the trade edition of the Pictorial Webster's and enrollment in one of the MCBA's workshops, make an excellent (and much appreciated) birthday/graduation gift for me? Um, yes! Husband, are you reading this? 

Here is some more information about the Pictorial Webster's from the website of Johnny Carrera's own Quercus Press letterpress and bindery.

P.S. I sometimes post on the book blog my sister started - here is a recent post

No comments:

Post a Comment

Love this post? Hate it? Leave a comment. I like to hear what you think.