Wednesday, November 23, 2011

two years of loving lola

Two years ago today, after a series of very rational and level-headed "Reasons Not to Get a Dog Right Now" speeches from Kevin, and a very charming and persuasive "Okay, But Here's Why We Should Get a Dog" speech from me, we picked up our sweet Lola at our local Animal Humane Society. It is the best joint decision Kevin and I have ever made (other than the decision to spend our lives together, of course).

Lola, even though you can't read, I am declaring my love for you in this blog post. You are the doggiest dog in all the land, and I am in love with your pure and joyful soul. You are a wise, funny, playful, serious, silly, mischievous, howly, sleek, patient, crazy, noble, fast-running, tail-wagging, water-loving, mitten-chewing, treat-loving, crooked-eared fifty pounds of pure awesome. Also, you are very beautiful.


It has been an emotional and challenging year in our household, and Kevin and I agree that our lovely Lola has played a big role in getting us through the roughest parts. My love for this furry non-human being might seem a little over the top to some people, but I feel deep gratitude for the honest and unconditional love she gives. I marvel at the fact that we are two species co-habitating, enjoying our sincere affection for one another, and delighting in our mutual love of both rowdy good times and quiet nights on the couch.

This dog howls at weather sirens, patiently waits for me to go upstairs to bed at night, does whole-body leaps when we come home at the end of the day, sits quietly beside me when my heart is breaking, and wakes me up on weekend mornings by putting her paws on my chest and furiously wagging her tail. She's not "just a dog," she's family. Furry, couch-ruining family, but family nonetheless.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Love this post? Hate it? Leave a comment. I like to hear what you think.